Tuesday, August 09, 2005

 

My Biggest Pet Peeve

Well, it may not be my biggest, but it's the biggest one I'm thinking of right at this moment. People who don't use turn signals!!!! If there is a better way to tell the world that you are a self absorbed butt munch, I'm not aware of it. Turn signals aren't for you, they are for everybody else. They are there for no other reason other than to inform your fellow driver of your intentions and allow them to plan accordingly. Now, I know for a fact that every car made for at least the last 35 years came equipped from the factory with turn signals, and I also know that their use isn't a difficult skill to master. Yet for some reason (cough, arrogent, self absorbed, inconsideration, cough) many people can't seem to muster the requisite arm strength required to flip that little lever on their steering column before they change lanes on the freeway. What's even worse is when said person is going 20 mph over the limit and weaving thru traffic like Mario Andretti on crack. Let me make this clear, if you want to speed, whatever, I don't care as long as you don't a)talk on your cell phone b)tailgate c)cut people off. I don't consider speeding (within reason) in and of itself to be overtly dangerous, but tailgating, cutting people off, driving distracted, and not using your turn signals are overtly dangerous. As a motorcyclist who witnesses the carnival of horror and stupidity that is the average American freeway on a daily basis, it occurs to me that most unsafe acts that occur on our interstates are indeed driven by selfishness, lack of awareness, and a general sense that "I am the only person in the world, or at least the only one that matters." And my fellow motorcyclist, don't think I'm letting you off the hook, we can be just as bad (or worse) than the cagers. We are just less likely to cause death on a large scale.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?